Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Monday, April 02, 2018

B is for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer


B is for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, a black and white film from 1947 that won Best Original Screenplay at the Academy Awards for screenwriter Sidney Sheldon.

Richard “Dick” Nugent (Cary Grant) is an artist who charms the ladies, often causing fights among the other men involved with them. He ends up in the court room of Judge Margaret Turner (Myrna Loy) who allows him to walk out without sentencing him. Unbeknownst to her, he is scheduled to give a speech at the high school of her sister Susan (Shirley Temple). Susan is immediately infatuated with the suave and debonair Richard, and believes she has fallen in love with him, misreading his interactions with her.

When Susan shows up at his apartment ready to be his model, it causes all sorts of drama when Margaret finds her there. Richard wants nothing to do with this precocious 17-year-old, but is talked into dating her by Margaret and District Attorney Tommy Chamberlain (Rudy Vallee) so that she’ll get him out of her system.

Susan’s boyfriend Jerry White (Johnny Sands) is bereft at her sudden change of heart, and Richard tries his best to get them back together. This is a comedy after all, and there are many laugh out loud moments. One night Richard and Margaret arrange a meeting at an elegant restaurant and dance spot, and people keep showing up and joining them. It felt like a comedy routine: how many people can you get around a table at one time? Quick witty dialogue among the participants ensues, and it is very well acted.

Shirley Temple didn’t act very much after this film. My husband commented that 1947, those years between the end of World War II and the beginning of the Cold War, was an interesting period. There are some awkward moments of male dominance toward women (the uncle threatening to spank the wayward Susan for example), but on the other hand, Judge Turner is a woman with a very important role in society.

Something that irritated me was that Richard’s artwork is never shown. His easel and workspace is more of a suggestion, and I believe it was just painted scenery in the background. He could have been any number of creative men; artist seems to have been picked out of a hat. He doesn’t even look like an artist: not starving, not bedraggled (always wearing a suit), and his speech to the students doesn’t even have to do with art.

Where Cary Grant shines is in the slapstick kind of comedy he was so good at, like when he is at a picnic and is coerced into competing in some physical races, including sack racing, and an obstacle course.

Sidney Sheldon was an accomplished writer penning novels, screenplays and TV shows, his biggest hits in the 1960’s on TV were The Patty Duke Show and I Dream of Jeannie. His The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer is a cute film, and if nothing else, will leave you laughing.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie, but now I will have to check it out! I think I prefer Cary Grant in more serious roles (I have to admit I wasn't a fan of "Arsenic and Old Lace"), but I haven't seen Shirley Temple in anything since I was a kid (we had a copy of "The Little Princess" that we wore out on VHS), so now I am intrigued. Thanks for the recommendation, and Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It's interesting seeing Shirley Temple act at an "older" age.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue - I haven't seen this movie ... but if it came up I'd happily watch - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cary Grant was really good at comedy. I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  3. This is a funny movie that probably would not get made at this point in time. I enjoyed everything even Shirley Temple whom I thought was better than many give her c4edit for once she became a teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Shirley Temple. She did a good job in this film.

      Delete
  4. Another movie I haven't seen... yet. I don't think I've seen Shirley Temple in any movies other than the ones when she was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley does a good job I think. It was the first film I had seen her in at an "advanced" age!

      Delete
  5. I actually cannot recall if I've seen this or not. My guess is that I have since it plays fairly regularly on TCM. Some good talent associated with this film.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it comes on TCM, I recommend watching it. The actors are great and the story is cute.

      Delete