Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

U is for Up in the Air


U is for Up in the Air, nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at the Academy Awards (lost to Precious). Jason Reitman wrote the screenplay with Sheldon Turner. Jason was the director of the excellent comedy Juno a couple years earlier. Up in the Air is rated R for language and some sexual content.

Our first views are of earth from the window seat of an airplane, a mode of travel known all too well to Ryan Bingham (George Clooney). He has the regrettable job of traveling to American cities to fire employees at companies apparently too ashamed to do it themselves. I would find it regrettable, but Ryan does not. He loves his job and his traveling, being partial to American Airlines and racking up their loyalty miles with every trip.

Change comes to his company as well when ingĂ©nue Natalie (Anna Kendrick) arrives on the scene. She has won over Ryan’s boss Craig (Jason Bateman) who hires her to train their employees on how to fire people online. This doesn’t go over so well with Ryan, and after he gives a demonstration showing that it’s not easy to fire someone, Craig sends Natalie on her merry way with Ryan all over the U.S. in order to learn how to fire people.

Ryan is an independent guy, until he meets Alex (Vera Farmiga) who appears to be the female equivalent of him: carefree, assertive, independent and wanting a little male/female bonding while on the road. Ryan reaches out to his family, as his sister is about to get married, and Alex goes with him to Wisconsin where the couple is about to tie the knot.

I really enjoyed George Clooney in his role as Ryan. He shows a vulnerability that makes him lovable, so we really don’t want anyone to hurt him. All the actors are great in their roles, and there are some wonderful cameos by J. K. Simmons and Zach Galifianakis as employees being fired that make those scenes memorable.

Natalie grows up while on the road, with Ryan almost taking a paternal role with her. He is after all old enough to be her father, and she considers him “old.” (What? George Clooney? Not yet.)

I loved the opening sequences when Ryan goes through his routine of packing his carryon bag for travel, something he’s obviously gotten down to a science. He moves through the airport, going through all those customary checkpoints that I have grown to expect, ticketing, security, waiting for boarding, all done in an entertaining manner.

I wonder how many others like Ryan and Alex are flying overhead right now. I enjoy my flights, but I don’t do it every day. I’m heading out to some great vacation or to see family, not to business meetings and the daily grind. I really enjoyed this look into a world that exists up there, over our heads. Who is on that plane? Are they happy? See Up in the Air for a glimpse into that world.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - obviously an interesting light-hearted film with a serious message and of course ... George - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think George Clooney was the best choice for this role.

      Delete
  2. Another good choice, a delightful film.
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2018/04/24/u-is-for-uppsala-sweden/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you enjoyed it also.

      Delete
  3. This is a really good film that makes one laugh but also feel so very sad for the people who get the shaft which is what I see since I am a Credit Counsellor. I liked how George's character finds vulnerability whereas his protege finds toughness. George is not old and how i would love to be sitting under an umbrella at his lake Como place... let's dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good analysis of the film you add here. Yes, let's dream . . . Lake Como and George.

      Delete
  4. I will check it out! One question: is this one of the George Clooney preaching his agenda movies? If so, my husband will not join me in watching it.

    I'm in A to Z at Doesn't Speak Klingon. If you visit, check out my "Movie Whore" tag. I used to review movies when I saw them, but I've gotten away from doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George is an actor in this film. I don't think he had other input into it. I'll check out your blog!

      Delete
  5. Apparently the film didn't make a lasting impression on me, but I do remember enjoying it when I saw it. And it really wasn't all that long ago when I saw it. Probably should see it again.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great reminder of what goes on up in the skies above every single day. Good film.

      Delete